Qué Pasa?: The Natural Chica Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why I went natural

5 posters

Go down

Why I went natural Empty Why I went natural

Post  CupcakeLuv Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:40 pm

I decided to go natural after realizing why in the hell do I keep spending money and time relaxing my hair and not maintaining it.
I was also tired of my hair breaking and thinning out.
I opted not to do a BC and instead do a slow cutting out of the perm.
I have been natural since May 2009 and looking forward to my final perm cut out (hopefully that's soon).
I decided I didn't want to do a BC because I just didn't want a super short cut. In 2001 I did a BC to grow locks and after a year I decided I missed my perm.

I love being natural now. I wouldn't change it for the world. And though I'm not 100% natural yet, I dream about it every night.
I'm in love with my curls and I feel like they totally define me.
Following naturalchica.com and Mae I've been able to use many great natural products that has helped me through out the day Smile
CupcakeLuv
CupcakeLuv

Back to top Go down

Why I went natural Empty Reply to Why I decided to go Natural

Post  tmonty0519 Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:35 am

I decided to go natural for a number of reasons. My hair really didn't need a perm, but all I could see was that I did. People would tell me girl you don't need a perm and I would be like you're crazy. I got tired of everyone telling me your hair is balding in the top....yes it was from the perms. My last straw was after I had my little girl, my hair came out soo badly b/c I'm guessing the chemicals, hormones, stress and God knows what else, so I had to make the choice for myself. Keep perming my hair and let the thinning continue, let the balding continue, let the damage continue, NO. I had to make the right decision. NO MORE PERMS and I'm so glad I did. I've never been happier with my 100% healthy natural hair. I transitioned for a year and I did the B/C on the 21st of November, 2009 and I've been natural for almost two months and I totally love it!!

Last edited by tmonty0519 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

tmonty0519

Back to top Go down

Why I went natural Empty Why I went NATURAL??

Post  Sun'sRae Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:26 pm

I received my first relaxer when I was about the age of 3 or 4. Quite young?? Indeed. Because of my mother's decision to do this I always had in my mind that my natural hair could never be managed. I thought it would be the most horrific thing in the world if I decided to never get my hair permed again. After all, if my hair was too "Nappy" as a small child, then it couldn't have gotten any better as I grew older. Somewhere in the back of my mind I wondered what it would be like if I didn't relax my hair. I wanted to go natural a long time ago. Everytime a little new growth formed in my head it was the warning symbol that a perm was definitely needed. I became dependent on the PERM. Last year (1 month after my 23rd birthday) I decided enough was enough. My hair was probably at it's healthiest in it's permed state. It was at it's longest, strongest, and fullest at this point. Many questioned me about my final decision to go natural. Although my relaxed hair looked good, I didn't feel good. Crying or Very sad I didn't stand out; no significance. I transitioned for 7 months and BC'ed on New Year's Eve of 2009. Now I am truly HAPPY. I feel GREAT and I am SO GLAD that I made the decision to be a NATURAL ME!! Very Happy
Sun'sRae
Sun'sRae

Back to top Go down

Why I went natural Empty why i went natural

Post  kisha Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:27 pm

I went natural becuz i was inspired by my co-worker. i was hesitant in the beginning becuz i tried years ago and was not educated enuff to keep it up. I entertained the idea but this time i did extensive research. i did my bc sept 2009 and I LOVE IT!! im so in love wit my hair. i have a hair journal and we're now workin on our blog; so stay tuned "natural nubian twins" blog!

http://naturalchica.blogspot.com/2009/10/encouraging-note-from-reader.html
kisha
kisha

Back to top Go down

Why I went natural Empty Why I decided to wear my natural hair

Post  keynotespeaker6 Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:48 am

My earliest memories of my hair have been getting it hot combed and relaxed. I always thought it was because my hair was so unmanageable, but recently my mother told me it was simply for convenience. Having two young daughters and herself to get ready in the morning, it was easier for her to comb relaxed hair into ponytails vs natural hair. I have wanted to become natural for a while, but I was always told I have "bad hair". Even my hair dresser told me I should never become natural because I don't have the hair for it. After recieving my relaxer in December, I was jamming in my car and India Arie's song "I am not my hair" came on, and I just had an epiphany. Whyyyyyyy did I just get this relaxer???? So my hair could look like what society believes is acceptable? December 2, 2009 I decided to never put another relaxer in my head. I have just passed the mark of my relaxer timetable and I am SOOOOO excited. I am thorougly enjoying this journey. Wearing my hair curly all the time now, I recieve more compliements on my hair than ever before. Also, its a freeing feeling to just get out of the bed, shake my head and go. What makes it even better is that by talking about my journey with people, my mother and two closest friends have all decided to become natural. I plan to do the BC on my 21st birthday, which is July 1, 2010. It will be a new beginning for me as I go into adulthood. I love reading and learning more about natural hair and the women who have them. Thank you all for your posts, tips, ideas, encouragement, and everything else. The natural sista community is like no other. I LOVE it!

keynotespeaker6

Back to top Go down

Why I went natural Empty Re: Why I went natural

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum