Qué Pasa?: The Natural Chica Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair product recipes

2 posters

Go down

Hair product recipes Empty Hair product recipes

Post  ceelovesjake Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:21 pm

I'm trying to switch over to all natural hair products that I can make at home. Do you have any recipes to share that are simple to follow and do not require hard to find ingredients? Thanks a lot!

ceelovesjake

Back to top Go down

Hair product recipes Empty Re: Hair product recipes

Post  Brendita Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:52 am

ceelovesjake wrote:I'm trying to switch over to all natural hair products that I can make at home. Do you have any recipes to share that are simple to follow and do not require hard to find ingredients? Thanks a lot!

Make friends with extra virgin olive oil and virgin coconut oil! These are WONDERFULLY moisturizing, inexpensive things you can use in your hair. I used to use olive oil, every two weeks, when I wore my hair in braids. To cut down on messy drips, cut a 3 inch strip off the long end of an old bath towel & then tie it around your head. This will catch any olive oil that drips down. You need not get expensive olive oil, but be sure that it's cold pressed and extra virgin: Other types of olive oil will contain chemicals (such as hexalyne) used to extract the oil from the olive.

Use your fingers to apply it to your hair, after you've shampooed and towel dried it. Once you have it in your hair, put on a snug fitting, thin shower (conditioning) cap and then sit under a dryer (using the lowest heat setting) or put on a heat cap. Heat your hair for about 15 minutes and then allow your hair to cool completely (about 5 minutes). Rinse well with warm water and at the end, rinse with the coldest water you can tolerate. For extra shine, add 1/4 cup of organic apple cider vinegar to 16 ounces of cold water and pour it over your hair: This will add shine by restoring the pH level of your hair. The choice between olive oil and coconut oil is up to you. Coconut oil is a bit easier to apply because it's semi solid, but it will melt as soon as you apply heat. Experiment between the two and see which one you prefer. Good luck!

Brendita

Back to top Go down