Damaged ends, Scab hair? please help!!!

Go down

Damaged ends, Scab hair? please help!!!

Post  brownchick on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:58 am

Hi,

Background knowledge: before started transitioning, in the past my hair has been burnt 3 times by being overprocessed with the relaxer because the stylist didnt listen to me and wash it out when i said it was burning. This led to lots of pain and lots of breakage.

Hope you can help, I'm at my wits end. I BC'd just over 2 months ago after transitioning for a year and have noticed something and wondered if you or someone else could help or suggest something since you have so much knowledge and experience in this area. I've noticed that the ends of my hair are a lot rougher, dryer and prone to single strand knots, even if I try to braid or twist it it gets hard to do at the ends because its so bulky. At first i didn't think it looked damaged from what I could tell (if hair is blown/combed out the ends aren't see through in fact they visibly very much denser then the rest of my hair). Then I thought it was scab hair so I blowdried so I could see better and cut it off (about 2 ins) but the ends of my hair still don't feel like the rest even detangling is more difficult (it will be fine then 2 mins later i have to do it again, feel like i'm ripping my hair out). So 2 weeks later i thought i must not have cut enough off and cut all the rough hair I could feel off, felt great, til the next day the ends felt rough and tangled. Only thing i can think of is that i still haven't cut all of it off or i must be doing something very wrong. I straightened my yesterday hair because I know damaged hair won't straighten and I was right, the ends stayed rough and felt dry, they just feel burnt, its horrible and looks horrible and limits me so much styling wise. Was so frustrated now my hair is so much shorter and so uneven and I still haven't achieved anything, I would have cut all my hair off right then and there if my mum didn't stop me, really starting to get me down.

Do you have any suggestions on what you think may help or what I may be doing wrong, any ideas will be well received, but will understand if you just don't know either :-)

Thanks

brownchick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Damaged ends, Scab hair? please help!!!

Post  Brendita on Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:36 am

I believe your assessment is correct: You still have a bit of relaxer at the ends of your hair. Can you go to a stylist you trust and have him/her give you a trim to get rid of those damaged ends? I would also suggest that you stay away from heat (straightening, blow drying) for a while so that you can get some health & vitality back into your hair. I would also suggest WEEKLY deep treatments with a moisturizing deep conditioner that has protien (to strengthen your hair). You'll need a mild heat source for this such as a hooded dryer or a heat cap. Keep your hair moisturized and protected daily with a leave in conditioner. You may want to keep it in cornrows or two stranded twists so that you don't have to handle it a lot.

Make sure that your hair is protected when you sleep! You can wear a scarf or satin bonnet. Or just secure it in afro puffs (2,3 or 4 depending on your hair's length) and sleep on a satin pillow case (this is what I do). Use satin covered bands (scrunchees) to secure your hair.

Please feel free to check out my website for hair products: Brendita's Body Works www.brenditasbodyworks.com

I wish you luck and success...PLEASE: Don't give up! Healthy, natural hair takes time and patience but it is SO worth it!

Brendita

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  brownchick on Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:46 am

Thanks so much for your response, I already am doing most of the things you suggested but you've given me hope to carry on. Started using Cantu Shea Butter as a leave in and my hair really likes it, don't think i'll get it cut again just yet i'll let it grow out a bit first and now I don't really have a stylist I trust to cut but i'll do some research. At the moment i'm using Trader Joe's conditioner to deep condition but i don't think it has protein and I'm in the UK and can't get it over here, I rely on family to send it over to me lol. Can you suggest any other conditioners that moisturize and have protein?

Thanks again

brownchick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brendita on Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:53 am

You're most welcome, Brownchick Smile

I've been making/selling my own hair products for over 2 years, so those are the only ones I am familiar with. I have two deep conditioners that have protien, but the Phat Head High on Coconut Deep Conditioner would be best for your hair. It's what I use every week, along with my cordless heat cap. The heat is VERY important, as this is the only way to get the cuticles of the hair to open up and receive the protien and other nutrients.

We are having a sale this week, through midnight Friday 27 Aug 2010. 20% off everything. We ship worldwide via USPS. I wish you great luck with your hair (and everything else, of course Wink ).

Brendita's Body Works

Brendita

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Damaged Ends/Scab Hair

Post  Aly on Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:44 pm

Another option that may help is hot oil treatments or oil rinsing. It is so true that protein is good for your hair, but pay special attention to how it responds to your hair type. Too much may lead to breakage as well. Essential oils are so important in developing and maintaining healthy hair. My experience with this has been that the warm/hot water allows the oil to penetrate my hair shaft, resulting in a smoother shaft, thus easier detangling. You may also want to try ACV rinses; it restores Ph balance to the hair. Don't worry about the smell - it dissipates.

I will be launching my own site: www.naturallyhued.webs.com on November 1, 2010. Please check me out.

I included this YouTube vid from NappyChronicles, who used the template from Long Hair Care Forum for this regimen. I trust it will help you out!

Aly

View user profile http://www.naturalhue.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  brownchick on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:47 am

thanks so much for your help and suggestions. Funny enough i started doing hot oil treatments last week and im gonna try doing a Henna treatments once a month. could you suggest some deep conditioners that are for protein and then some for moisture? sorry i'm just really bad with knowing which are which. I'll check out your site, thanks again

brownchick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Damaged Ends? Scab Hair? Help Is On The Way!

Post  Aly on Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:42 pm

Hey Brownchick!

A great protein treatment that has personally worked for me is from the Aphogee product line. I really like the 2-Step Protein Treatment Combo. I only use it once every 5-6 weeks because my hair is fine and it doesn't need a lot of protein because it's not damaged in the natural state. I also go the natural (and cost effective <translated cheap>) route with mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip) under the dryer for 30 minutes. 2 eggs with a snug shower cap on your head (without heat) will do the trick as well. The idea is to strengthen and fortify your hair so that it will be less susceptible to breakage.

I use cholesterol or olive oil conditioner and after coating my hair with honey and sit under the dryer for 30 minutes to an hour as a moisturizing treatment. This is very important because natural is in its most fragile state. Treat your hair as the beautiful gift that it is. Trust me, it will flourish under the TLC that you give it!

Keep the faith, girlfriend! KISSes!

Aly

View user profile http://www.naturalhue.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down